[techtalk] BitchX and the swedish character set

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 21 14:18:30 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 21-Jan-100 [techtalk] BitchX and the s.. by
Tina Johnsson at penguinpow
> The problem is the swedish characters ´å´, ´ä´ and ´ö´.
> Everything works fine when I run BitchX in an xterm, but it
> doesn't work in the console.

My guess would be that your xterm font can handle swedish characters,
while your console font cannot.  Do other programs also act like this?

I looked on http://www.linuxdoc.org, and from the Belgian HOWTO
(couldn't find a Swedish HOWTO (maybe you should write one), and the
Belgian seemed to be the only non-English-language-HOWTO written in
English),

  Using the ISO-8859-1 font in console

   You can load the ISO-8859-1 font by typing the following in console:
        setfont lat1u-16.psf
        mapscrn trivial
        echo -ne '\033(K'