[techtalk] MAC addr from Cable Modem

srl slandrum at turing.csc.smith.edu
Wed Jan 19 03:17:35 EST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Kelly Lynn Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:05:39 -0800 (PST), moebius at ip-solutions.net said:
>
> >  I don't know if that  is normally the case, however I would think that
> >it would not be. The reason that I say this is that the cable modem is not
> >directly connected to the computer. It is connected thru cat5 cable.
> >ifconfig reports (I may be wrong here) on system devices only. Arp should
> >report on it, I'm not sure what's up with that. On my network arp only
> >reports 3 out of 4 computers MAC addr. The fourth doesn't even show up,
> >even though it's live. Any other suggestion?? This dang thing has got me
> >stumped.
>
> Oh, so the cablemodem is connected to a hub, along with several other
> devices?  If that's the case, I would think you'd have to use some
> sort of tool (usually provided by the cable modem manufacturer) to
> configure the cable modem.

To the original poster:

are you trying to make the cable modem your gateway to the net for all the
computers? if so, here's what you want:

            -------
--cable----->eth0 |      ---->box4
            |BOX1 |      | ---->box3
	    |     |      |/
            |eth1 <------hub----->box2
            -------

you make box1 either a router or an IP masquerading box, depending on
whether your cable modem provider gives you multiple IPs.
Finding your MAC address on box1 requires only ifconfig.

srl