[techtalk] New Linux machine

coder coderman at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 16 17:52:02 EST 2000

> So my questions follow two
> lines -- what are considered good prices on hardware these days?  And
> what kind of configurations should I be looking for?

I can give some hardware and software recommendations...
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

> Here are the services I'd like to setup on the computer: Firewall, VPN
> or something equiv (I don't know much about SSH ...), X, SMTP, Mailing
> list, IMAP, Web, Database, and Backup.

Firewall: ipchains comes with the 2.2.X kernels standard in any recent
distribution.  You may have to explicitly select it during install.

VPN: Check out some of the following:
Vtun: http://vtun.netpedia.net/
Tinc: http://ftp.nl.linux.org/linux/tinc/
There are also some commercial VPN products...

X, SMTP, IMAP, Web, Backup: These should come with any good distro.

Mailing list: Try majordomo.

Database:
MySQL, mSQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc..  Sounds like MySQL might be a
good fit for what you need to use a db for.

> So, what do you think I should get?  And how much should something
> like this cost?  I'm especially clueless about backup options.  I
> don't think I'll be buying DLT for home use ... Do they make DVD RAMs
> that support Linux? Also, IDE or SCSI?  I've only used SCSI on
> servers, but I'd guess it'd be a bit expensive for personal use,
> unless there's a compelling reason I don't know about ...

My suggestion:
~500Mhz celeron, PII, athalon.. take your pick.
128-256 M ram.
and CDR / DVDR, or tape for backup.  They do have DVD recordable support
under linux.
check out cdrecord, perhaps gcombust / X-CDRoast as a frontend.

--
.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.
    coderman at mindspring.com | http://cubicmetercrystal.com/