[techtalk] Screen colours :-)

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 14 21:38:34 EST 2000

coder wrote:

> i would die without my green text on a shaded Eterm background..
> Makes me think of the old 'green screen' CRT's way back when..  :)
>
> My roomate seems particularly fond of the classic amber color on a clear
> eterm with a dark theme background.

I'm used to white on black as seen in the Linux console :-)

At work I have two machines on my desk, one a crappy 486 with the bare
minimum install plus an ssh client for use as a terminal; the other one
is a PII-300 which I mainly use in X and if I open a shell window on
that it's white on black as well. My home machine is also used mostly in
X and is setup the same way. So basically my colours are chosen based on
not having unusual changes all the time, rather than having actually
tried to find out what's easy on the eyes.

A friend of mine has an interesting idea - all his root consoles have a
blue background and his regular consoles are the normal white on black
so he can easily tell which he's switched to.

> Of course, i havent used an office suite thingy since i cant remember
> when, but i imagine black text on a white background would work best
> there..

I shudder at the thought of using anything WYSIWYG on other than black
on white :-/

Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz	Home: jamiew at clear.net.nz
 ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly