[techtalk] Monitor Size

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Fri Jan 14 07:29:40 EST 2000

J B wrote:

> If you are going to buy a new monitor, go ahead and shell out the small
> extra amount to go up to a 21"...you can find good ones at good
> prices...look through the archives, we had a discussion on prices and
> quality early on in the life of techtalk...

Carry a tape measure. Measure them yourself - they did this at my husband's
work one day, and found a massive disparity in size-of-usable-screen
between two allegedly 21" monitors. Neither of which was 21"
corner-to-corner of usable screen.

Don't bother getting into fights with salesmen over it - just use it so
you're comparing apples to apples.

As for the original question: go to shops. Look at monitors. The only
person with your eyes is you, and what's perfectly acceptable to me can be
absolutely useless to someone else. Sorry, but that's the truth.

(add that I have three significant vision problems in one eye, and none in
the other, and I really expect that noone sees the world the way I do!)

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn