[techtalk] cracked?

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Jan 13 16:14:38 EST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Cynthia Dale wrote:

> Most likely you didn't get hacked.  It looks like your logs rotated via
> cron, as is SOP nowdays with Red Hat.  I am not sure why syslogd restarted
> so many times or why it isn't logging as it did before, though.  I'd check
> the following:
> rpm -Va >rpmcheck and look at the rpmcheck file
> /etc/passwd to see if anyone's been added
> and things like that.

I think, it may be a bit confusing what you said. I think you meant
something along the line: "Look at the rpmcheck file to see if any
programs have been altered and look at /etc/passwd to see if anyone's been
added". Because /etc/passwd will most likely be marked as "altered" with
'rpm -V', as everyone has her/his own accounts and passwords in it.

I didn't follow the thread, but I remember some version of syslogd/klogd
dieing without visible cause. I think it was with RHL 6.0, an update
solved the problem.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de