[techtalk] RTFM and FAQ archives

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 09:14:07 EST 2000

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 06:13:09PM -0500 or thereabouts, Esther Lumsdon wrote:
> STC is a professional society for technical writers.  I'm not
> one, but I thought their t-shirt was an excellent example of
> technical writing.

The t-shirt sounds great!

> Useful info:
> A very handy ftp site is  ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/
> a usenet-by-hierarchy archive site is
>     ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/

Another useful one I love is the Internet FAQ Consortium.
	http://www.faqs.org
	http://www.faqs.org/faqs/
	http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/

Searchable and fast. I think rtfm.mit.edu has more FAQs on it. I'm
sure there's some missing from www.faqs.org. But I've always found
the RFCs I was interested in on there.

On the subject of rtfm: a friend of mine put an entry for 'man rtfm'
on a system he was responsible for. It was a "how to use the man
pages" piece aimed at people who wouldn't understand 'man man'.
I don't think he can be the only person who did that :)

Telsa