[techtalk] POP mail security

Robert Kiesling kiesling at localhost.ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 8 08:52:30 EST 2000

"Jenn V." <jenn at simegen.com> wrote:

> The list also specifically says not to tell people to RTFM. I appreciate
> that that was not your intention, but I recall glancing at your answer and
> thinking 'uh, that's perilously close to a blunt RTFM. A newbie is going to
> be put off and upset by that one'.
>
> A way to do the same thing, but present it better, is to pass on the
> information and /then/ say 'here's how I found it'.

I think that works for people with a sincere desire to learn.
Telling people HOW to read the manual is much better.

Man uses the MANPATH environment variable to find which directories
have manual pages; i.e.;

MANPATH="/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man"; export MANPATH

> > If that's the philosophy of the list, again, please update the charter
> > and I will unsubscribe.
>
> Nope. Just don't frighten the newbies off while we're teaching them.
>
> Alas, 'man' seems to have been deliberately constructed to do just that. ;)

Recently on gnu.emacs.sources, there was 'woman', which formats man
pages without troff/nroff.  :)

Robert