[techtalk] initrd/kernel building

Darren Osadchuk osadchuk at pangea.ca
Sat Jan 8 00:54:49 EST 2000

I have Red Hat 6.1 installed, and am about to rebuild the kernel. My
/etc/lilo.conf has this line in it:

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.12.12-20.img

Now, from what I can tell, I'll need to use mkinitrd to make a new initrd
file that matches up with my new (2.2.14, I think -- the latest stable)
kernel. My specific questions is: at what point in the process do I need to
do this? This isn't addressed in the kernel how-to, and initrd wasn't
incorporated into Red Hat 5.2, from what I can remember, so this is the
first time I've come across it.

Or, can I just not bother with initrd? Is it worth having?

Thanks!

osadchuk at pangea.ca                             http://www.pangea.ca/~osadchuk/

Richard was thunderstruck: it had been like watching Emma Peel, Bruce Lee, and
a particularly vicious tornado, all rolled into one and sprinkled with a
generous helping of a mongoose killing a king cobra. That was how she moved.
That was how she fought.