[techtalk] POP mail security

Chris J/#6 sixie at nccnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 01:10:19 EST 2000

Try looking up about APOP authentication. Not all POP servers support it
though, and I don't know what mail client support for APOP is like, but I
think fetchmail is quite happy with it. APOP takes your username and
password, and creates and md5 hash of the password and a timestamp returned
by the pop server, and sends the hash over the wire. The password is never
sent plain.

Chris...

--
    / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / sixie at nccnet.co.uk  \