[techtalk] libraries gtk+ and glib

Beverly Guillermo mezanin at home.com
Thu Jan 6 19:47:27 EST 2000

Did you do an uninstall of the old rpms before installing the new
versions?

Check in /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib and do:

(1)
stalefish:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libgtk*
stalefish:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libglib*

(2)
stalefish:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgtk*
stalefish:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libglib*

The first is where a tarball install defaults for installation and I
believe it may be the same for an RPM install.  If you had installed the
library with your linux installation, it's possible it could have
installed in the second place.

You can tell what version it is by the extensions added.  For example:

stalefish:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/libglib*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Dec 26 22:12
/usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0 -> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.6*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       155444 Oct 10 20:04
/usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0.0.6*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       183912 Oct 10 20:04 /usr/lib/libglib.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          660 Oct 10 20:04
/usr/lib/libglib.la*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Dec 26 22:12 /usr/lib/libglib.so
-> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.6*

If it were something other then version 1.2, I would have removed them and
then did a ldconfig.

Beverly

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Gustavo Sudre wrote:

> Hey guys!
>
>  I'm new to this list, as i am to linux. Unfortunatly i'm having a problem
> that nobody was able to solve until now, and i expect that u could help me.
>  Everytime i try to install a rpm (btw, i'm using rh 5.2) it says that needs
> gtk=>1.2.0 and glib too. Well, i've already downloaded the latest versions
> of those libraries (source rpmd), unpacked, configured and installed them
> according to the manual, and those programs still prompt the same msg!!!!
> I've already tried ldconfig, but didn't work. What should i do?
>   Please, linux gurus, help me!!!! :)
>  Thanks
> Gustavo Sudre
> Rio de Janeiro - Brazil