[techtalk] need database recomendations

Aaron Malone aaron at mancala.semo.net
Mon Jan 3 18:13:58 EST 2000

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 07:55:52PM -0000, Ian Phillips wrote:
> > You might want to take a look at MySQL.  We use it in combination with
> > the DBI perl module.
>
> Bur if by "real" database you mean a genuine RDBMS then both mSQL and mySQL fail the test. One of the reasons that they are so fast is that a lot of functionality is missing from them. Have a look though, and see what you need.
>
> DBD/DBI are wonderful tools though, and have the advantage that if you can write your UI using these then it will make transitioning to a larger DBMS next time much less painful.

Those who are looking for a free solution that's more robust than MySQL
might want to take a look at PostgreSQL.  It ships with redhat, and supports
a lot of the cooler things that MySQL doesn't (subselects, transactions,
etc).

I'm in the process of converting my MySQL stuff over to Postgres. :)

--
Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net)
System Administrator