[techtalk] Other OSes on a Linux box

jennyw at griffon.personic.com jennyw at griffon.personic.com
Mon Jan 3 16:21:02 EST 2000

Yes, I know, NT is an evil topic ... but one of the cool things about Linux
is that it runs on hardware that's compatible with other operating systems,
so you don't have a different hardware platform for each OS that you have.

My question is ... if I buy a bunch of Intel-based servers from a company
like VA or Penguin, am I likely to be able to run NT on them as well?  And,
more importantly,  if there's a problem, am I going to be able to get help
or am I going to be wishing that I'd bought a Compaq or IBM machine instead?

I would love to support the Linux hardware vendors.  But we don't run just
Linux here, so I'd like to know that I wouldn't be taking unnecessary risks.

The next question, of course, is: Can anyone recommend any rackmount servers
from companies that support both Linux and NT?  The important things for us
is that the hardware remains standard (some vendors substitute parts for
future orders, depending on availability, price changes, faster video,
etc.), and that the boxes are relatively inexpensive.  We've been buying
Compaq 1850R units thus far, but they can be expensive, especially if you're
only using the computer for testing.  It'd be great to have a low-end, 1U
solution that's basically a workstation we could stick in a bank of
computers for client-side automated testing.

Thanks!

Jen