[techtalk] gcc versions and bus error

Robert Kiesling kiesling at mainmatter.com
Tue Feb 29 16:09:52 EST 2000

> I'm ah, medicated at the moment, so feel free to delete if incoherent.

Oh, did someone give you some tequila?

Off topic, sorry.  :)

> It's definitely a problem with the program...  When it doesnt bus error,
> the fault is probably manifesting elsewhere, such as with bad data.

It has to do with byte alignment, not protected memory... and I think
mainly it's in run-time libraries... anyway, the easiest fix I found
was to use the SunOS ld instead of the GNU linker.  Thank goodness
GCC doesn't insert stack traces like M$ compilers do.  :)

Bob