[techtalk] gcc versions and bus error

Becky L. Norum bnorum at coe.neu.edu
Tue Feb 29 02:23:53 EST 2000

I've been developing my C programs at home using RH6.0
We are required to submit them on Sparc workstations at school.
A program I've been writing compiles and executes correctly at home; when
I try to execute it at school I get a bus error.

My question is: What exactly is a bus error (I thought it was like a seg
fault - trying to reference a NULL location...) AND why would I be getting
it on one machine and not another?

Does it have anything to do with the version of gcc?

At home, gcc is:
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

At school:
gcc version 2.8.1

Any thoughts/suggestions/references would be highly appreciated.
I realise this isn't purely Linux.. but is somewhat related.  :)

Thanks!

Becky
bnorum at coe.neu.edu