[techtalk] Missing "taskbar" in KDE??

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Sat Feb 26 01:57:18 EST 2000

#if indrani at mindspring.com
> > All .xinitrc should contain is 'exec startkde'
>
> eeeeeeerp? for what version[s]?
>
> this works fine on my system (seemingly), but then, i think i'm running
> an old (ie, 1.1something) release.
>
> or could this potentially be causing problems i have yet to notice?

Well I don't remember when startkde came into existance. It was
definitely there in the last 1.x version, which was 1.1.2.

Your .xinitrc will probably work ok, but startkde does some fancy
stuff with 'sleep' etc to get faster startup and protect against
some race conditions between the various parts as they initialise.

If you don't have KDE 1.1.2, remember, it's free :)

Rik

--
Turn over your beliefs as fast as your assets.