[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Beverly Guillermo mezanin at home.com
Tue Feb 22 08:54:05 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Dan Nguyen wrote:

> The "standard" way of doing it is to have the distribution install
> everything in /usr, while leaving it up to the user to install stuff
> in /usr/local

I believe there is a way to change the installation directory using a RPM
option, is there not?

If not, you could always download the rpm-source file rather then
a regular rpm file and rebuild it so it does go to any directory you want.

> I really don't like /usr/local, infact I don't have any programs
> installed there.  I tend to use /opt/<package>, that way a quick rm
> -rf /opt/<package> will delete all trace of it.  If it really is
> deserving to be installed on my system... it get's packaged, that way
> I can uninstall it when I get bored of it...

I've never installed in the /opt directory.  What about configuration
files, how does that put into effect for /opt?  Most of the configuration
under /usr/local go into /usr/local/etc .

Beverly