[techtalk] Installing Tarballs

GJS g_jay_s at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 10:00:11 EST 2000

--- Laurel Fan <lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> ./config.guess
>
> uname -a
>
> gcc --version

Thank you for the explanation about host type. I found the
problem. When I typed in "gcc --version" I found gcc was
missing.

When I installed RedHat I didn't use a default install; I used a
rpm database printout from Mandrake as a guide to install
individual components. (It takes longer, but I don't have to
remove unwanted stuff later.) As the install.log confirmed when
I checked it, I missed the egcs package. Once that was on the
system, Dia compiled fine.

Thanks again for your help.

=====
Glen Strom