[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Dan Nguyen nguyend7 at cse.msu.edu
Mon Feb 21 04:57:27 EST 2000

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 07:15:16PM +1300, Jamie Walker wrote:
> As for the version jump - by all accounts after too many questions about
> "When are you going to upgrade to Linux 6.0 like Redhat have?" he
> decided to join the party with inflated version numbers, just like many
> of the others have. (ie, RH's first version was v3 if I remember
> correctly).

I understand why the jump happened, but (RH users please do not take
offense) Slackware should not degrade itself.  No matter how much
people don't realize it but most major linux distros are very
political.  Some distros are just too commercial, all power to them.
But I saw the Slack jump as them abandoning their principles, and
embracing itself with the dark side.   Wouldn't it be better to
explain to the newbie that Linux is only at version 2.3.x and what a
distribution is and that RH != Linux.

--
       Dan Nguyen          | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
    nguyend7 at msu.edu       | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.