[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 21 20:15:16 EST 2000

Dan Nguyen wrote:

> I've been very disappointed in Slackware, lately.  Originally for not
> support glibc2, and then for their silly version jump from 4.0 to 7.0.

The lack of glibc2 support was apparently for stability reasons. I've
been using glibc2 for the last year and had no problems with it - so
maybe Patrick was being a little too careful.

As for the version jump - by all accounts after too many questions about
"When are you going to upgrade to Linux 6.0 like Redhat have?" he
decided to join the party with inflated version numbers, just like many
of the others have. (ie, RH's first version was v3 if I remember
correctly).

Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz	Home: jwalker at paradise.net.nz
 ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly