[techtalk] X Mail client recommendations

Dan McGarry dmcgarry at moodindigo.com
Sat Feb 19 01:43:13 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Sunnanvind <dodsangel at himlen.com>
To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 4:01 AM
Subject: Re: [techtalk] X Mail client recommendations

> At 23:47 2000-02-17 -0500, you wrote:
> >Up till now, I've stayed with MS Outlook Express because of laziness (and
> >several hundred MB of stored messages). Some recent problems with it have
> >sent me looking for a decent X-based mail client. I'm looking for:

[snippage]

> >    * And, for bonus points, is threaded.
>
> Hmm, another Good Thing would be one that allows the user to write mail
> while checking; to check mail while reading, etc etc.. is that what
> threaded means or does threaded refer to that you can see which mails were

I intended the second sense, the ability to display messages ordered by
subject, then order of appearance.

As I understand it, multi-threading isn't terribly popular in an OS (e.g.
Linux) that spawns processes at the drop of a hat. On more drain bead OSes,
where more than one process at a time is a near impossibility for any single
application, multi-threading makes a lot of sense.

I'm really a high level person, so I don't understand more than the dregs
I've managed to glean from documentation, but I understand that in some
applications at least (Apache springs to mind), there is movement toward
multi-threading on Unices because of the efficiencies that can be achieved
in certain circumstances.
--
Dan McGarry
http://www.moodindigo.com/