[techtalk] Getting a computer on a network.

Tania M. Morell Tania-Maria at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:56:38 EST 2000

Good news!, I can get to my work computer from home!

Here's the wierd thing. After dialing in to work, I
can telnet into it from any telnet client using the ip
but if I ssh into one of the servers first and THEN
try to telnet or ssh into it, it won't go. Maybe my
puter won't trust the servers?

I can ssh to any server (there are dozens) from my
puter but I can't telnet to my puter from the
servers..
I'm thinking it has something to do with how security
is set up but I don't know.

-T

--- Jeff Dike <jdike at karaya.com> wrote:
> > I'm not at that computer now and can't run
> ifconfig until tomorrow but
> > I've tried pinging from one of our server and this
> is what I get:
>
> > chipshot # ping 10.254.254.245 PING 10.254.254.245
> (10.254.254.245):
> > 56 data bytes
>
> Your box is off the net somehow.  Make sure the
> wires are hooked up :-)
> If there is any hardware besides an ethernet strand
> between your box and the
> servers, like routers, you might want to make sure
> that you're on the right
> subnet.
>
> When you can sit in front of your box, make sure
> that ifconfig says that the
> interface is up and has the address you expect.
>
> 				Jeff

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

=====
Tania Morell