[techtalk] X Mail client recommendations

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 15:58:28 EST 2000

#if Britta Koch
> >When you load Empath, it syncs with all your folders in the background.
> >Then when you click on a message, it retrieves it in the background.
> >It does everything that may block in the background. I hate a UI
> >that stalls.
> >
> Tell us whether its stalls when you have 2000+ mails in your Linuxchix mail folder ;)
>
> Britta (whose mail clients prolly aren't multithreaded)

Hmm. There are 849 in grrltalk. When you click, you get a little
scrolling progress meter showing you it's being read. While that's
going, you can still use it - you can click another folder, use
the menus etc. No stall.

Currently the time to read the folder is too slow, but that's
down to a bug I'm hunting down. The time taken to read the index
that I create from disk is about 700ms. So if I can sort out
the problem with the GUI it should take about 1s to read the list
and display it, with 849 messages.

So the answer is no, it doesn't stall, and soon it should read
those 2000 messages into the on-screen list in about 2s.

I'm sick of mutt taking so long to do it, so I'm trying to beat it...

Rik

--
Scan.