[techtalk] pppd (ifup script)

moebius at ip-solutions.net moebius at ip-solutions.net
Wed Feb 16 10:36:02 EST 2000

Hey Catherine,
  Sorry about that, I don't know where I got Karen from. It must be the
crack ;-).
  So what seems to be happing is that no device is being used for the ppp0
device. Normally this is run thru the modem. How are you setting up ppp?
Thru LinuxConf? Anyhow, I would recommend wvdial. If you're using a gui
these is an Xbased version. I can send you a how-to that I wrote for
connecting to Speakeasy.net. It's at home now so it won't be until later.
Please try this in the mean time. Fire up minicom, and dial your ISP. See
what is displayed, ie=>prompt or garbage (pppd). This will at least let
everyone know how to setup a chat script for your situtation. Also if you
do get prompts for login and pass enter them wait for pppd to start on
your ISP side then "suspend with no reset" minicom and fire up pppd
-detach. If that works it'll be relatively easy to accomplish. Also make
sure that you always run pppd with debug. Sorry this is so long.
Regards,
Harry