[techtalk] career/family question

coder coderman at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 15 22:07:10 EST 2000

Linda Walsh wrote:

>     No one is "equal" in every way with everyone else -- well, maybe genetic twins,
> but the difference between queen elizabeth and prince charles is probably less than the
> difference between the queen and a pygmy woman in africa.

I was going to say the same thing.  Gender differences can be quite
minor when compared
to things such a nationality, religion, etc...
There are 4 billion people on this planet, all unique.  That takes a
nice amount of
diversity.  On the same note, there are a lot of things in common
between sexes, or
nationalities, or what have you.  It all depends on what you looking at.
I think what everyone has been talking about though, if not explicitly
stated, is that there are far too many negative or damaging differences
due to
ignorance, prejudice, and apathy.  This goes for all sorts of issues, of
which gender
inequality is only one, and perhaps a bit ill named.  How many females
would want to be
even remotely male?  Not many I think...

>     Also it's very difficult under the *current* regime for woman to be "equal" to men
> even if it were biologically possible.  There are things that women experience in open
> society far more than men -- such as rape.

Id have to say rape is the most fucked up issue of the day.  Its bad
enough here, and then
you hear about how bad it is in places like africa.  I think this is one
issue that doesnt
get near enough attention, seems like far too many people are content to
ignore it, or
downplay its severity.  But, i think this group knows that, soo i wont
delve into a rant. ;)

> Men are more likely to be victims of all
> other violent crimes.  The perpetrator in both cases, however, has about a 90% chance of
> being a man.   Men don't have to worry about getting pregnant.  Men don't have to
> worry about losing control over their own body by having abortion rights ending.

True.  Things have come a long way from where they started, but there is
a long way yet to go.

>     So...all of that is why you can't just look at men and women as "equal" in today's
> world.  There are tons of other examples, but that's enough for now -- gotta get home
> to my partner.  :-)

Maybe tomorrow...

--
.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.
    coderman at mindspring.com | http://cubicmetercrystal.com/