[techtalk] career/family question

Tania M. Morell tania at shadow.net
Tue Feb 15 19:50:34 EST 2000

srl wrote:

> why does it matter who's male, female, or other? I'd have to say
> that one of my personal goals as a feminist is to have gender
> not matter at all... but some of you seem to feel differently.
> can you explain why?
>
> shane

Well, I was merely pointing out how difficult it is to tell from just a
first name and never meant to imply anything more. I've been part of
this mailing list just a short time and have come accross such names as
'Ji' and 'Rik' and I do wonder, sometimes, who it is I'm talking to and
what their experiences have been.  I think some people may have gotten a
little too defensive.  I'm sorry my comment changed this topic into
something totally unrelated.  sheeeesh..

In my opinion, it may not matter as much on a mailing list who's who but
it does at least a little because, in reality, we're not all no-face
no-name individuals.  It would be too boring to pretend that we were.

--
    Tania Morell
  tania at shadow.net
www.shadow.net/~tania