[techtalk] Screen colours :-)

Sean McAfee mcafee at umich.edu
Mon Feb 14 01:21:15 EST 2000

"Wendt,Andrew" <awendt at neo.rr.com> wrote:
>What do you people prefer as colours for extended viewing of text? :-)

Once upon a time I decided I wanted some variety in my terminal
colors, so I wrote a little TkPerl front-end to xterm.  When I
ran it, it would pop up a large text label with the words "Is this
okay?" in a random combination of foreground and background colors.
I used a simple algorithm for getting enough contrast between
the two colors, basically applying the Pythagorean Theorem to two
points in RGB colorspace.  If I liked the colors, I would click
button 1 anywhere in the label, and the script would exec itself
into xterm, supplying the right options to produce the same colors
as in my script.  Otherwise, I pressed button 2 to create a new
pair of random colors.

I used the script for over a year, but I must have gotten more
impatient during that time, because it became more and more
irritating having to cycle through several bad pairs of colors to get
to an acceptable one, and I finally just settled for white-on-black.

--
Sean McAfee | GCS d->-- s+++: a27 C++ US+++ P+++$ L++ E- W+ N++ |