[techtalk] 1st time adding a modem to linux.

Tania M. Morell tania at shadow.net
Sat Feb 12 21:12:48 EST 2000

"Tania M. Morell" wrote:

> Nick Green wrote:
> >
> > have you tried dialing using minicom?
> > its fairly easy to setup and will tell you if your modem is even
> > set correctly.
> >
> > (of course, that doesn't mean kde will like your modem...it doesn't
> > like mine, apparently...minicom will recognize it, but kde just hangs
> > on "initializing modem".)
> >
> > nick

Also, I've noticed that my books say to use /dev/ttyS? and other online
help I've been to refer to /dev/cua?..  what is cua used for?? At first
I thought it was a com port but then I got the impression that ttsy's
are com port because of what my books say but this  wouldn't make sense
either since I  have to assign a port to it using "setserial 'device'
port 'whatever' ".    I'm royally conused about this.

--
    Tania Morell
  tania at shadow.net
www.shadow.net/~tania