[techtalk] KDE license?

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 12 20:57:51 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 10-Feb-100 RE: [techtalk] KDE license? by Ji
Lee at yodlee.com
> Does that mean that no GPLed programs can be linked to commecial libraries
> such as Oracle because Oracle library doesn't ship as a part of "the
> system"?
> I saw a few programs that will let you access Oracle which (I think) are
> under GPL.

Do they link with oracle?  If so, this is probably not allowed.  If they
merely access it (for example, in a client/server way), then this is
probably allowed.  For example, a GPL mysql client is allowed to access
the non-GPL mysql server.

There is quite a bit of controversy about how to interpret this part of
the GPL.