[techtalk] /dev/dsp problem

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sat Feb 12 16:24:24 EST 2000

> I also tried 'saytime', which is just supposed to recite the time aloud
> and got the following message:
> opening /dev/audio: Operation not supported by device
> (it's not exactly crucial that this program work, i was just looking for
> another method to test the sound devices)

There is a sound howto that I used to check some of the stuffs out to
make sure my sound was working right... my biggest problem was
permissions on my /dev/audio and /dev/dsp devices (everyone needed to
get to them as sound really is just a buffer of "stuff" going out).

http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Sound-HOWTO.html

I didn't really *follow* the howto as I beleive some details are
missing, I just used some of their diagnostics to figure out if I had
sound going in the right direction.

We compiled the sb16 crap into our kernel along with the OSS sound
stuffs (running debian2.2) and it works great (now, I did have to do
some 'work' to get it here).

-nicole