[techtalk] Poor performance on home LAN

Robert Kiesling kiesling at mainmatter.com
Tue Feb 8 05:19:38 EST 2000

Laurel Fan <lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> According to the ifconfig source, it's frame alignment error.  I think
> frame alignment error usually means that it gets a packet/frame that is
> not properly aligned, IE not a multiple of 8 bits.  That definitely
> shouldn't be happening that often.

If memory serves, a frame is the synchronization wrapper around the
TCP/IP data packet.  I would look to faulty network cards or network
cards that inadvertently have the same addresses....  if the cards
are Plug 'n' Pray, then it might actually be a motherboard or PCi
bus error.  Comer's networking book, btw, is a std reference
for TCP/IP networking (haven't read it).

Cheers!

Robert