[techtalk] Changing the Console Video Mode

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 6 01:21:17 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 5-Feb-100 [techtalk] Changing the Con.. by
GJS at yahoo.com
> I just got a 17" monitor and the added size makes everything in
> console mode look grainy. I'd like to reduce the video size to
> something similar to what I had on the old 15" monitor. I've
> gone through various man pages but can't find the information.

My /etc/lilo.conf (generated by liloconfig in debian... yours probably
doesn't have it) says:

---/etc/lilo.conf--
# Specifies the VGA text mode that should be selected when
# booting. The following values are recognized (case is ignored):
#   NORMAL  select normal 80x25 text mode.
#   EXTENDED  select 80x50 text mode. The word EXTENDED can be
#     abbreviated to EXT.
#   ASK  stop and ask for user input (at boot time).
#   <number>  use the corresponding text mode. A list of available modes
#     can be obtained by booting with  vga=ask  and pressing [Enter].
vga=normal
---/etc/lilo.conf---

See also the manpages for lilo, lilo.conf, rdev, and vidmode.