[techtalk] System commander and Linux

Tania Morell Tania-Maria at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:12:21 EST 2000

I've tried that too.

LInux will boot fine as long as I forego system
commander and use lilo instead.
On my pII, I have 2 scsi drives running win98 and one
eide drive running linux.  If I make the IDE bootable,
lilo will boot win98 and linux beautifully but if I
make the scsi drives bootable and install sc on it,
the farthest i can get when syscommander tries to run
linux is "LI" instead of the normal "LILO:  " prompt
and then it just hangs there.

I've tried installing lilo on root and also in the
mbr. I've tried installing linux while the scsi drives
are visible to the ide drive and also tried without
them being visible.  I've tried installing linux with
the ide drive as master and also with it as slave...
etc etc.etc...  You name it, i've tried it..

I'm convinced that I'm not looking for a solution in
the right place. Perhaps the drives themselves have
nothing to do with it.  Maybe it's my method of
installation... like some option i choose or
something.  or my computer's bios.   I feel useless!
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

As it is, I'm happy using lilo.  It's simple, it
works, but I am very bugged that I couldn't get SC to
do the job.

IF anyone has an off the wall idea, I'll try that too.

--- aprilk <aprilk at linuxstart.com> wrote:
> Tania Morell <Tania-Maria at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> For System Commander just tell Linux to put lilo in
> >> the root partition and then System Commander will
> >> find it and it will work. I use it like that all
> the
> >> time.
> >>
> >> April
> >>
> >> ************
> >> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org
> >>

> >This is what I've been doing.  I have lilo on the
> root
> >and tell sc to boot it...  doesn't work for me.
> >Couldn't even get it to work on my PII.
> >I've given up..  there must be something else I've
> >been missing.
> >
> What happens when you tried to boot linux? Have you
> also
> tried to boot it with lilo setup in the MBR? Sys
> Commander
> will do that too.
>
> April

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org