[techtalk] Su slow?

Sunnanvind dodsangel at himlen.com
Fri Feb 4 03:17:59 EST 2000

On Thu, 03 Feb 2000, jdike at karaya.com wrote:
> > When I hit the enter key after typing in the root password, it takes
> > like a minute or so. That's much slower than before.
>
> Did you recently add any new stuff to root's .profile or anything?
>
> Does the same thing happen if you su as root?  If so, try this:
> 	strace -r -o strace.out su
>
> Then look at the first column in strace.out, which is the time since the last
> system call, and keep an eye out for a big number.  The thing right before
> that should be the culprit.

The strace.out was a couple of pages, the biggest number by far was

     0.000406 read(5, "", 256)          = 0
    20.108991 --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) ---

20.108991 the big number...

read(5, "", 256) doesn't sound like something comprehensible... should I paste
more of the strace.out?
Sunnan
--
http://home.swipnet.se/sunnanvind