[techtalk] problems with Sendmail

Andrew Kirkpatrick arjuna at northnet.com.au
Fri Feb 4 12:13:21 EST 2000

Hi Emma,

Maybe I misread your problem. So the shell field in /etc/passwd for various
users is disappearing... Any other fields going south also? I don't think
sendmail cares about the shell, but if the password field or the whole
user record goes, sendmail will spit.

I remember older versions of linuxconf screwing up a number of
configuration files including /etc/passwd. The most current linuxconf
recently fried my /etc/smb.conf. Do you use a system configurator like
linuxconf?

Sounds like something is just plain broke. What version/distribution of
linux are you running? Maybe upgrade?

HTH

--
Andrew Kirkpatrick