[techtalk] Su slow?

Bad Mojo mojo at rps.net
Thu Feb 3 08:18:29 EST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Sunnanvind wrote:
> The load average that top shows was round 0,60 0,90 0,90 etc...
> the passwd file list a user that seems suspicious: "nobody".
> Dumb as I am this was my first look ever in the passwd file, so I don't know if
> that user should be there. I fear I've been subject to a trickery of
> oddyseus/cyclops fame. How to remove?

The user nobody is fine. Nobody is a system account and shouldn't be
deleted. The reason I suggested examining the file was because a corrupted
passwd file may cause su to respond very slowly or to give an error
message.

Bad Mojo <RPS Figurehead, ThinkPad Pope, SysAdmin>
ICQ:4722638|AIM:BadMojo000|http://www.rps.net/mojo
"When I need to I hit people with the largest weapon I can find: the Earth."