[techtalk] Need Notebook reccomendation

T. E. Pickering tim at astro.rug.nl
Wed Feb 2 02:06:24 EST 2000

> Couldn't resist, no one has mentioned IBM ThinkPads, and I've seen
> two running Linux that are very very nice.

IBM's are great if you don't have problems with them.  once you have
to deal with IBM support, things get ugly fast.  at least that's been
the case for two of my friends.  i've heard other horror stories as
well.  similarly, sony vaio's are great as long as they don't break.

i don't have a dell laptop, but their support for my old dell
desktop was top-notch.  cdrom didn't work under linux (back in 1995,
no less)?  no prob!  guy came out the next day with a new one and
installed it.  monitor died three years later?  shipped out a new one
within 2 days, stuck the old one in the same box, sent it back, no
worries!  if something in a laptop breaks, you're screwed 'cause
they're tough to user-service.  pay attention to warranties and
customer service when shopping around.

tim

|  Tim Pickering                 |     Kapteyn Institute, Postbus 800  |
|  tim at astro.rug.nl              | 9700 AV Groningen, The Netherlands  |
|  http://www.astro.rug.nl/~tim/ |                    +31-50-363-6519  |
Vegetables are what food eats.
Fruit are vegetables that fool you by tasting good.
Fish are fast moving vegetables.
Mushrooms are what grows on vegetables when food's done with them.
		-- Meat Eater's Credo, according to Jim Williams