[techtalk] Need Notebook reccomendation

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at snafu.de
Tue Feb 1 00:18:59 EST 2000

Davida wrote:

> I am looking to purchase a Notebook to put
> Red Hat 6.1 on (for my mom). Requirements
> are as follows: 32 bit color at 1024 x 768 and
> decent (stereo) sound (built-in supported NIC
> would be nice). Any suggestions?

I have no exact suggestion but a gooood idea: make sure the machine
will produce that 1024x768 on an external(!) monitor with a high
refresh rate!!

I once lost quite a lot of money by buying a laptop that was kind of
useless because if could make a high resolution on an external monitor
(as was promised by the vendor) but it did this solely at 56(sic!) Hz.

They might tell you that it produces fine, High Res pictures on the
external screen: ask for written approval about the refresh rate!

Cheers,
Karl-Heinz
--
K.-H. Zimmer     *     Hamburg     *     Germany

PS: I like pure ASCII mails much more than HTML.  ;-)