[techtalk] default umask

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Dec 28 20:46:48 EST 2000

Phil Savoie:
> This value can be overridden by an entry in the users profile files by
> either the user or the root user depending on your situation.  The umask
> value can be determined by typing umask at the prompt and changed by
> typing umask <new_value> at the prompt as well.

A nice flag to umask is -S, making it more readable for the average user
that has just rlearnt to use chmod (not that the average user knows that,
but I rather mean the average knowledge of those knowing chmod. Never
mind.)

  umask -S u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx

will do the same as the somewhat more cryptical

  umask 002

and 'umask -S' will show the current mask.

(I don't know if this works for all versions of umask, but at least on
most Linuxes.)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.