[techtalk] Computer Books

Char P. imcharp at home.com
Sun Dec 17 15:37:49 EST 2000

I am a librarian in a public library and I can tell you from personal
experience that computer books that are too technical or expert level are
not what the average person coming into the library is looking for.  The
average patron is looking for very generalized information.  They love the

Dummy books (personally I hate them - I tend to recommend the books with
lots of pictures laid out in a 1-2-3 step kind of way).  People that want
specialized books are generally willing to purchase these books for their
own collections.

An excellent Linux computer book from O'Reilly Press is called Running
Linux (I.S.B.N. 1-56592-469-X). Matt Welsh is the author.

I am at home right now, but I'll be back to work on Jan. 2 - I can give
you the titles of some of the computer books that round out our collection

at the library.  Let me know if you are interested.

Charlene
imcharp at home.com