[techtalk][techtalk] UsingCD-Rom drives with linux.

Tania M. Morell tmorell at hway.net
Sat Dec 16 12:32:43 EST 2000

hi,

CDRDAO sounds like what I need so I downloaded it along with pccts
(which is required to install cddrdao).  I installed pccts successfully,
but now when I go to install cdrdao, I get this, and the error at the
bottom:

[root at caladan cdrdao]# rpm --rebuild cdrdao-1.1.4-1.src.rpm
Installing cdrdao-1.1.4-1.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.74585
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf cdrdao-1.1.4
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/cdrdao-1.1.4.src.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd cdrdao-1.1.4
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.85617
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd cdrdao-1.1.4
+ export 'CFLAGS=-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s -mcpu=pentiumpro
-march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations' 'CXXFLAGS=-O3
-fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
-ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations'
+ CFLAGS=-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s -mcpu=pentiumpro
-march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
+ CXXFLAGS=-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s -mcpu=pentiumpro
-march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
+ ./configure i686-mandrake-linux --prefix=/usr --with-pcctsbin=/usr/bin
--with-pcctsinc=/usr/include/pccts
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-mandrake-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s
-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s
-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s
-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.
[root at caladan cdrdao]#

sounds like my version of gcc is no good...  but I'm not sure..

Anyone know what this means about and how to fix it?

-T

stephanie1200 at netscape.net wrote:

to get rid of the second of silence, you want "disk-at-once" recording
mode, which you can do with cdrdao.  Take a look at that doc above, and
the cdrdao page.  the compiling of it is slightly tricky, like there's
one dependency I think and you have to edit the makefile directly, but
it's not bad (got it going in probably less than an hour) and has worked
just great for me.

I have the exact commands I used to copy a music cd saved on my other
machine. if desperation sets in, let me know and i can dig it up.