[techtalk] Re; Smoking kills!

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Dec 16 14:09:09 EST 2000

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 01:06:46AM +0100 or thereabouts, Magni Onsoien wrote:
> David Merrill:
> > > Sounds like a good idea. Should work in a washing machine as well,
> > > shouldn't it? I use to take mine intop the shower, that's also a bit
> > > cool. "I just had a shower with my keyboard today."
> >
> > I think a washing machine would be quite hard on a keyboard! In the
> > dishwasher it is only exposed to sprays of water.
>
> Uhm, yes, I thought of just putting the keys into the washing machine,
> not the board itself ;) It works with LEGO and most other small plastic
> items, not to talk about bras, so I guess keys will survive too :)

I cleaned my dec keyboard out simply by
	(a) my husband demonstrating the necessity by shaking it over me
	(there are times when I could cheerfully hit him...)
	(b) giving it a good rattle myself over the bin
	(c) pulling all the cruft I could find out of it.

However, I've always been very careful not to spill coffee (which I
drink continuously) or fizzy drinks (which I rarely drink) or grapefruit
juice (all the time) over it. I was surprised that coffee is such a
keyboard-killer but fixxy drinks are obvious, thinking about it. Sugar
and acid. Wonderful.

My husband says that once when someone spilled a fizzy drink over a
keyboard at university, they simply unconnected it, raced up to the
toilets, dumped it into a sink, turned the tap on, and covered it
utterly in water. Apparently this works if you're quick.

Telsa