[techtalk] Re; Smoking kills!

David Merrill dmerrill at lupercalia.net
Thu Dec 14 17:30:21 EST 2000

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 01:57:50PM -0700, Wood, Mary wrote:
> > I have a friend who (for some reason) has been working
> > in PC repair for 5 years. He stands by giving keyboards
> > cold showers. I did it to one of my keyboards after a
> > coffee incident a few years ago, and it still works
> > fine. I wonder if a long, hot, dishwasher ride is
> > overkill, though ...
>
> I've never heard of any of this!  I've been conditioned
> into the general belief that anything mechanical/
> computeresque + water = bad.  You put the whole keyboard
> in water?  Cord, guts and all?

Some electronic devices store an electric charge even when unplugged,
but your keyboard does not. When it is disconnected from its power
supply, it is completely charge-free. Nothing can short when there is
no power. As long as it is completely dry before you reconnect it,
you're fine.

I take my keycaps off and put them in a laundry bag. You know, the
kind for washing sweaters in, that's a kind of netting. Then I throw
the bag and the keyboard itself right in the d/w and run it. On cold
temperature.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows.
		-- O'Henry