[techtalk] Using CD-Rom drives with linux.

Eric Richard Turner turnere at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Dec 10 14:29:07 EST 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Tania M. Morell wrote:

> Hi all!  Happy Holidays!
>
> I'm having a huge problem getting both my IDE Creative Labs CD drive
> -and- my SCSI Plextor CD-RW drive working under Mandrake 7.2 ..
>
> FIRST PROBLEM:
> How can I mount a IDE cdrom drive with an audio cd in it?  Apparently
> iso9660 is not audio??
>
> [root at caladan tmorell]# mount /dev/cdrom
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
> [root at caladan tmorell]#

You cannot mount an audio CD, since the CD does not contain a filesystem.
If you want to listen to a CD you can use something like workbone (a
non-GUI audio CD player) or one of the graphical versions (like the one
that comes with KDE).

I cannot elaborate on the SCSI CD-RW problems. My Yamaha installed just
fine, and is recognized by xcdroast.

Eric R. Turner

--
My public OpenPGP key can be found at