[techtalk] Samba "protocol negotiation failed"?

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at imagedog.com
Fri Dec 8 16:18:06 EST 2000

Hello again, all...

Well, I found a copy of AppleshareIP off a developer's CD I didn't realize
we had, so I'm back to trying to connect my Linux box to the mac.  Now,
whenever I try to connect to the Mac's SMB volume using Samba (either
mount -t smbfs or smbclient), I get an error from Samba saying "protocol
negotiation failed".  I did some searching on the web, and lots of people
seem to have gotten this error and asked why, but no good answers have been
given.

Does anyone have any idea what this error means, other than "Macs suck" ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Brian J. Sweeney
Systems Admin, imagedog.com