[techtalk] Re: Soundcard/DMA Timeout

Bek Oberin gossamer at tertius.net.au
Fri Dec 8 11:20:48 EST 2000

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov wrote:
> > Just in case anybody wondered what happened, it turned out that
> > IRQ7 was dickey.  When I changed the config file to config it to
> > IRQ 11 it works like a charm.
> This isn't terribly surprising.  IRQ7 is normally reserved for the first
> parallel port.  (LPT1: in DOS/Windows terms.)  I have never figured out why
> so many sound cards set that interrupt for their default, since it really
> doesn't work well if you use your parallel port for little things like,
> say... printing.

Well, there's no printer hooked up to that machine and the
parallel port drivers weren't loaded, so it SHOULDN'T have
conflicted.  But (8shrug*  it works now.

I hate hardware and low-level OS stuff.  I'm a toolsmith Perl
monkey.  Not a flaming OS/hardware tech!  That's what my friends
are for!

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Queer-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer at tertius.net.au   http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/