[techtalk] making a patch from a cvs repository

Anmol Khirbat anmol at teknema.com
Wed Dec 6 11:48:27 EST 2000

Hi

I imported some source code into a cvs repository, did lots of changes and
made a Larry Wall patch. The problem is that I cannot apply the patch to a
copy of the original source cleanly.

When I run patch, I get loads of Hunk FAILEDs and a bunch of .rej files. I
went through all the reject files and all of them nearly identical. Here's
one of the rej files with some lines removed.

***************
*** 42,48 ****

! "$Id: errwarn.c,v 1.1.1.1 2000/12/04 22:07:32 anmol Exp $ Copyright (c)

! "$Id: errwarn.c,v 1.2 2000/12/06 00:20:08 anmol Exp $ Copyright (c) 1996

Looks like something to do with the $Id$ keyword expansion. Did I goof up
when I imported the source in the first place? Whats the right way of
doing things? How can I produce a patch that applies cleanly to a copy of
the original source?

TIA

bye :)
Anmol