[techtalk] Multiple passwd lists ?

Julie jockgrrl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 1 09:42:15 EST 2000

From: Beverly Guillermo <mezanin at chno2.com>
> Has anyone managed a passwd and shadow list with more the 10,000 people
> on it?  Is there a way to possibly divide the passwd/shadow lists into
> smaller multiple files?  Something like passwd.master shadow.master,
> passwd.domainname1, shadow.domainname1, passwd.domainname2, and
> shadow.domainname2?

Thousands of years ago I tested it with that many users, but I've
not done anything of that sort recently.  Mostly because I no longer
maintain Shadow ;-(

You should be able to use "mkpasswd" on all of the shadow-related
files to create DBM files.  Other than performance there is no
technical reason why you couldn't have 10,000 entries in your
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

-- Julie.