[techtalk] Re: [grrltalk] extremely new

Nancy Corbett nancy at netleaf.com
Thu Aug 31 18:08:13 EST 2000

A segmentation fault is reported when you run a program and it tries to
access something it doesn't have permission to access...at least that's my
understanding of it.  A program will skip merrily along until BAM!  it
hits a wall when it tries to occupy a space where it isn't allowed to be.
It will promptly fall on its fanny and barf up a core dump.  Any time
you see the segmentation fault message, do an ls -l on that directory, and
you'll probably find a new file called core.  Unless you're doing testing
for a development team, it is safe just to delete that file.  Core files
can be huge!  But they can contain information developers can use to debug
their software.

Hope this helps.
Nancy