[techtalk] Preserving Permissions

Davida Schiff dschiff at exobox.com
Thu Aug 31 12:05:51 EST 2000

Hi,

I have a question about preserving permissions (for files). It seems like
the -p option during a copy does not work.  Here is the scenario:
Directory A has 4 files with the following permissions: file1=777,
file2=666, file3=667 & file4=676. Directory B has the same (contents) 4
files with the following permissions: file1=644,  file2=644, file3=644 &
file4=644. If I add new contents to any of the files in directory A and use
the following copy commands [cp -rfpv,  cp -rpv, cp -pfv, cp -pv] the files
get overwritten (desired effect) as does the permissions (undesired effect)
in Directory B. I thought the -p option preserved the permissions. How can I
preserve my files original permissions scheme (in directory B)?

Thanks,

Davida
Without books there is no knowledge.
Without knowledge there is no power.